cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-Website-Site VPN w/ Dynamic IP on both ends...

jwunderwood007
Level 1
Level 1

Alright before I start I'm fairly new to this and only hold CCNA, Sec+, and A+ certs with about one year help desk experience with networking and 10 years with Electronics maintenance. I'm currently working on CS and Electronics degrees and just finished putting a lab together to study for CCNP, Server+,and Linux + certs. ie I'm no networking ninja guru, but I'm not a tard either.

Bottom Line Up Front:

I need to be able to access my home network and labs from anywhere in the world as I tend to travel alot.

Resources:

Comcast Cable Residential Internet Connection

Cisco 815 V01 ISR with ver 12.4 Software

Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch

Personal website with URL

Desired Setup:

I want to be able to VPN into my home network through WAN. I want to use my own website to overcome dynamic ip if someone can turn me onto a resource that can teach me how to build this into my site. That is unless someone knows how to overcome it without having to use one of these services. Obviously this is to better secure my network by insuring I retain as much control over it's gateways as possible. I would rather have a static ip on the home lab end but as everyone knows Comcast won't do this without having to use thier equipment and I don't like them having that much control. ie I want thier physical presence to stop where thier line stops at the wall of my domicile and thier virtual presence to stop at the node upstream outside. This is more due to principal and the fact I'm trying to practice my security skills.

The 815 will be the gateway and therefore will have the firewalls etc. It will route to the Catalyst and to a Lab Web server while the Catalyst will do the switching to the other labs and the rest of the home network.

Questions:

1. Will I need another device at the remote end of the VPN?

2. Will I need to bounce the VPN off the website? If so any directions to a resource that would show me how to do this? (Code the HTML5, configurations, etc.)

3. Will the firewall on the 815 and a MAC filter which allows only certain MAC's be enough or should I also setup network monitoring software on one of the servers? If so which one?

4. How do I set the Cable modem card up for use with Comcast as they no longer give tech support for such an endeavor. (I've searched the internet for it but all I found was to just call and give them the MAC of the card,but no configs for the router. Did I miss this somewhere?)

I'll probably edit this with more questions for this scenario. It's the wee hours of the morning and I've been up studying Pre-Cal sooooo my brains working on fumes. Thanks in advance for any help. And for those up for a challenge I hope I gave you a few hours of entertainment.      

2 Replies 2

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

Unfortunately the devices you are going to work with are not considered Small Business but Enterprise, therefore I suggest you to move over this post to the "LAN, Switching and Routing" forum group using the "Action" panel on the top right corner of this window, or simply open a new threat;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/switching

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Thanks for letting me know. I figured these would be used for Small Business too and I'd get more feedback there as to how to get it to work in that config with Comcast residential since alot of Small Businesses around here just use the residential for providing wireless. Anyway anyone here got ideas on how to do this or where the resources are to study up on it?

Thanks in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card