Views
Helpful
Replies

SLB

vikcorper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

is it possible to do a SLB to two servers in a HP Closure (bladeswitch: Cisco 3020). The Cisco 3020 has an etherchannel with two ports connected to 6509 (which supports SLB).

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vidir

The servers do not actually be connected into the 6500 switch. You can either use

1) Dispatched mode where the real servers need to be L2 adjacent to the 6500.

2) Directed mode where the real servers do nto need to be L2 adjacent to the 6500.

Either one in your case would work as your servers are L2 adjacent to the 6500 switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vidir

Not 100% sure i understand what you are asking here. As you say the 6500 does supports SLB and so the answer is yes you can do this. Attached is a link to a doc on IOS SLB which may help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_slb.html

Jon

Thanks Jon for the reply.

I will try to explain better :-)

I have two HP blade servers (A and B). The HP Blade Closure has a Cisco 3020 switch in it. Server A and B have access to that switch on the backplane or internal ports (gigether 0/3 and 0/4). Then I have ports 17-18 (gigether 0/17 and 0/18) configured in an etherchannel over to the Cisco 6509. So if the clients want to access these two servers they will go through the etherchannel from 6509 over to the 3020 switch and then to the servers. Can I do the SLB configuration for these two servers on the 6509 even though the servers are connected to the 3020 switch.

Vidir

Vidir

The servers do not actually be connected into the 6500 switch. You can either use

1) Dispatched mode where the real servers need to be L2 adjacent to the 6500.

2) Directed mode where the real servers do nto need to be L2 adjacent to the 6500.

Either one in your case would work as your servers are L2 adjacent to the 6500 switch.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

this was extremely helpful.

best regards,

Vidir

thanks jon

this was the way of extremely helpful.

best regards,

Habib

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco