Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Slow Lan Performance

Hi,

I am facing poor lan performance in my network. My applications are not working properly.

All this started to happen when I did a LAN upgrade. I replaced all of my Cat5 cables to CAT6 cables. Do by any chance this can be a reason ?

Can anyone give a hint regarding this ?

Thanks,

Pete

1 REPLY
bjw Silver
Silver

Re: Slow Lan Performance

Pete,

This is a huge question. The simple replacement of cabling would not normally cause this.

And the definition of poor lan performance is as wide-open a question as "my car is making funny noises, what should I do"

I recommend that you collect performance complaints and see them occur yourself, be able to reproduce the complaint, if it's a single app/network, you've narrowed it down, if not, is it app specific, a single server or server farm, building, room? Lots of stuff to divide and isolate what the real problem is.

1st - Turn on Logging, log everything you can, short of debug all outputs (might slam the gear CPU to the point of failure, non-repsonse)

Classically I'd recommend the Cisco-blessed bottom-up approach.

Layer 1. Check all port/interfaces for physical layer errors, misconfigurations, speed/duplex mismatches, etc. Fix, recheck, etc. Are you seeing hi-cpu loads on any gear in your network.

Layer 2. Look at ARP tables,default routes. Up/down situations on interfaces. Spanning-tree, check status, logs, debugs, any loops, execessive BPDUs? Flapping interfaces etc.

Layer 3. Systematicaly ping from an end-station experiencing the problem through your network, any huge latency issues? See where it slows and check that device. Are you getting a ton of broadcasts - sniff segments and see. Apply remedy as you find issues. Run traceroutes, look at routing tables in each router... anythink look funny? Fix and move on.

Layer 4 - 7 -- Sniff, baseline tftp/ftp tests from a work station to an access-lever switch and then out 2 or 3 devices in your network. Any major changes in delta times? Look for heavy ACL activity at each device.

This is just a very very basic summary of what you need to do. Use CCO and do searches on each level of troubleshooting.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content