cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slower download speed when connected through the 871w router...

David Belmont
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've a slight problem with my Cisco 871w router which is plugged in to Motorola modem. When I check my download speed on speedtest.net I'm getting 57 Mbps when connected directly to the modem. When I'm connected to 871w router the max speed that I get is 34 Mbps. Does anybody know a solution?

I'm also wondering if 9db antenna will incease the signal in comarison to the small stock antenna?

Thankful in advance!

6 Replies 6

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

870 series routers has speed about 12 mbps

890 series routers has speed about 50 mbps

and dont forget to rate post

Does it mean that the max speed should be 12 Mbps? If so, why am I getting 34 Mpbs?

for some special conditions 12mbps.

your condicions differ

zeuscyril
Level 4
Level 4

hi terminal38,

if it is a PPPOE connection from ISP check the MTU value on the interface of 871 w.

and send me hoe you connected through modem?

thanks

cyril

MTU is 1500 bytes

not sure what did you mean by, "and send me hoe you connected through modem?"

zeuscyril
Level 4
Level 4

hi terminal38,

by default the mtu size for PPPOe is 1492 . that makes big difference even with speed wise .

and then some guy replied on your question about the throughput 871w that is also correct.

even you get the same speed which you are getting in the modem you can see the virtually that speed on speedtest but perfrmance will be 12Mbps only.

thanks

cyril

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card