Views
Helpful
Replies

Slowness im my network

mirboukai
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have notice a slowness in my network..

i have tried to ping my local servers and I m getting the time with more than 200 ms also getting the e-mails from the exchange server takes a lot of time..

i have 6500 core switch...

is there any command which i can identify

the problem other than show logging...

Best regards

Muzaffar

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Can u check weather is there any network loop.

Thanks

Mahmood

actually this is my question...

how to find the network loop.

Regards

Hello muzaffar bhai,

Normally if you have STP loops on your network, there are some standard symptoms:

1) packet drops from a partcular switch or network ... intermittent loss of connectivity

2) High CPU/link/port utilizations...

3) Syslog messages that indicate packet looping on the network (for ex HSRP duplicate IP messages)

4) syslog messages that show MAC address flapping messages ....

I think 3rd and 4th point can clearly tell u that there is a L2 loop on your network, in many practical scenarios...

For troubleshooting L2 loops, you have to know your network in & out... You can probably see the syslogs and try isolating the trunk one by one.. You need to be really sure as to which network is causing this issue !! Best practice is to manually do a "show spanning-tree vlan no" on each edge switch and track the STP root.. you need to also force the root to the core switch and not leave the values to default...

In addition to this, you can check the port utilizations, trunk utilization, CPU util and come to a conclusion on the BAD network..

Refer this doc.. this has more troubleshooting tips for STP loops:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a0080136673.shtml

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card