Views
Helpful
Replies

Small Business 300 Series / Another copy process is active message

rs.arkatho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have major problem with two new Small Business 300 Series switches.

Everytime i try to save the running config i get a GUI error message: "Another copy process is active, please try again later."

It's also not possible to re-flash the firmware because the GUI stops responding.

I have also tried to do this via console access and this produces a "the copy utility is occupied by another user" error message.

-> so this is not a browser based problem.

My first thought was that the switch (SG 300-28) is faulty so i unpacked the next new one (SF 300)
and got the same error messages!

Then i had a 2 hour webex support session with the Cisco Small Business Support and they did not found a reason for this behavior.

Both switches are working normally, you can configure them, but after a reboot they are back to factory default again

There is no possibilty for copy running config to startup config and it's also not possible to flash the firmware.
(Web GUI & Console).

Can someone tell me if this is a fundamental problem of the 300 Series?

Regards,

Rolf

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Sir, what your experiencing is very unusual for these devices.  I would like to know a little more about your setup for the switch. 

What changes have you made to the switch.  If you could be specific as to what you have done and are experiencing these issues.  Starting with your password that you changed when logging into the device and everything.  IF you have issues putting this out on the forum, you can send me a private message or email at davicarr@ciscodotcom.

I'm having the same issue as the OP on a brand new SG300-28 (unboxed today).  Attempts to save any changes -- as simple as the password after a "fresh" reset (via pinhole or web UI) -- result in "Another copy process is active, please try again later." (via web) or "The copy utility is occupied by another user" (via serial).  Booting to image-2 doesn't help, either.

palaughton
Level 1
Level 1

Just a WAG, Rolf, but do you have option 67 set on your DHCP server?  Because, it would seem, the SG300 loads whatever file you have defined by option 67, and tries to parse it as a configuration file.  Now, in my case, that file (which is the default for my LAN) happens to be a PXE loader, and apparently attempting to parse that file throws my switch into a fit.  Disabling option 67 or disabling DHCP altogether seem to make the device much happier.

Personally, I would think that behavior is a good example of what you WOULDN'T want the switch to do by default.

The removal of option 67 for the DHCP lease of my SB300 switch cured this for me

pelican2011
Level 1
Level 1

Just picked up a few of these switches

Turn off DHCP auto configuration under Admin>File management

You will have to do this while not connected to your network otherwise you wont be able to save the settings.

This is a stupid setting to have no as default I just dont get it..

maximorus
Level 1
Level 1

Solved with help of

Patrick Laughton and Cisco engeneer Borislav Atanasov. Thanks !!!

switch is SF 300 24 ports 10/100 and 4 1gb ports. ISC DHCP v3.0.1

In case you have LTSP or other remote boot enabled via dhcp--

entry for switch should be

host ciscosf300switch {

hardware ethernet  b8:62:1f:cf:86:55;

fixed-address 10.1.4.197;

filename "";

}

so that switch does not try to load settings from terminal boot file. (see logs in Status section)

Do not forget to reboot switch.

Happines is on the way

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card