cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small increase in ping response time

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

Prior to our Sup720 upgrade on our 6509,from a Sup1a, it seemed like most servers directly connected to our core 6509 would average approx. 1ms ping response time from most clients throughout our network. Now that we are on a dual-core 6509 design both with Sup720's, its seems like most servers are now responding with approx. 15ms response ping time to clients. Although there has not been any noticiable difference in performance from server to clients, I was wondering if this is something that I need to be concerned with? Any thoughts.

2 Replies 2

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Did you go from single 6509 to two 6509s? Something isn't right, you shouldn't be seeing such an increase. Are you pinging from servers directly attached to the 6509s? Are you doing VSS? If not, is your active HSRP router on the same box as spanning-tree root bridge? It's kind of hard to figure out what happened without seeing the drawing and configs. Going from <1ms to 15ms delay is not going to introduce significant performance problems, but large file transfer times will definitely increase because it all depends on TCP windows size and delay

regards,

Roman

Yes, we did go from 1 to 2 6509's, but no VSS. When I ping server to server communication, it is usually 1ms, but from clients to servers, it usually a bit higher, and these client are not directly connected to the 6509, but on a 3560 that is directly connected to the 6509. The active HSRP router is on the same 6509 as the root bridge for all vlans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco