Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Small/medium business network upgrade

Hello,

I have been asked by a friend to do an upgrade to his business network.  I would appreciate any help and suggestions.

There are several things which need to be accomplished:

• Implement a VPN solution for remote access
  • Increase bandwidth to support new IP security cameras, which will send video to a video recording device
  • Extend the network farther out into the shop area, in order to connect cameras and add computers to the network

The current setup consists of

• A 24 port 10/100 switch in the main office area.  15 of the ports appear to be in active use.
  • A consumer-level ADSL termination unit, currently with 6/1 ADSL service
  • A 10/100 switch half way towards the back of the shop facility, apparently acting only as a repeater to overcome distance limitations
  • An 8-port switch and Wi-Fi access point in a small office area in the shop, which serves a couple of computers and machines.

So far, we have come to the following conclusions:

• A gigabit backbone between different areas of the plant is something we need to do
  • A fiber link from the front office to the back, eliminating the need for signal boosting mid way, would be a good option.
  • We would like the VPN to be accessible from mobile phone/tablet devices as well as personal computers.
  • We would like be able to do some sort of traffic shaping so that a large upload or download from one computer to the Internet cannot slow everyone else to a crawl. 

We will be adding a 2 or 3 computers and eventually 6 or 7 IP cameras in the back shop and probably similar number in the front of the shop (close to the office). 

I would like to go with Cisco equipment if it can fit within the budget.  My experience has been you get what you pay for with the cheaper gear.

I would appreciate any ideas on how best to do this upgrade.  Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes, sorry.  The first time I posted, I missed the part where it said the post must first be approved by a moderator.  I don't see any option to delete this one, but a moderator is certainly welcome to delete this duplicate.

Views
Helpful
Replies