small network, 2960, layer 3...

santjoanCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I'm planning a new LAN in a new office:

- Over 80 users

- Data LAN + voIP (so i need POE).

- I need Layer 3 in a distibution/core: i would like a stack with layer 3.

- I want EtherChannels between access layer and distibution/core layer.

- Floor: 1200 square metres

I've been reading and thinking...

1) access switches:

I'm thinking in 24-port POE. I don't know if 10/100 or 10/100/1000. I will need several switches, 8 maybe

2975 is very expensive (so don't think in switches above of this one)

2960 may be the chosen.

or esw 500 series switches small business pro??

What do yo think is better in this case, 2960 or ESW 500 series switches small business pro? Any other?

2) distibution/core switch:

I would like a stack of two 3750-E. These are expensive. The question: i want a stack, and i want layer 3: any alternative cheaper than 3750-E?

Thanks for your answers.

Franky.

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Franky,

- Floor: 1200 square metres

How many access closets and how far are they to your distro closet? It looks like you have to use fiber for your uplinks from access to distro, if that is the case, then you will need a collection switch (distro) like 2 3750s with 12 Fiber 1 Gig ports each.  So, you could use the 2960s as your access switch and use the 1Gig SFPs to uplink them to your 3750s. Keep in mined that 2960s and 500 switch are 10/100 for user connectivity and the uplinks are only 10/100/1000 or SFP.

It really all depends on your budget and the requirement

HTH

Reza

Only two access closets. The distance between each one and the data center (a small one) is in the range of 50 metres, so i don't think fiber is necessary; copper is enough.

Each access closet has about 40 users, with two wires per user. So, 80 plus some more RJ45 connections... about 100 connections per access closet.

Applications? Typical: Internet, email, windows server, VMWare, citrix xenapp, client-server apps...

I'm trying to choose correctly the switches...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For a 48-port PoE switch (other than 3560E & 3750E), you have 370 watts of power.  You can use 48-ports to power up at 7.0w or 24-ports at 15.4w.  The only switch models that can power up 48-ports at 15.4w is the 3560E & 3750E.

A core switch using 3560g-12D/3560G-12SD or 3750G-12S with IP Services IOS feature would be recommended.

What about Wireless LAN?

santjoanCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks leola for your comments.

But... two much complex and expensive.

I think that one aproach is:

1) Access layer:

4 switches per access closet.

Model: ESW-540-24P. Cisco ESW 500 Series Switches,Small Business Pro.

24 10/100/1000 ports + 4 sfp uplinks (nevertheless, many computers will be limited at 100Mbps).

POE: Total: 280W: well, not bad. Enough for 24 ports i think.

2) Distribution/core layer:

2 switches 3750-E 24-port stacked.

Each acces layer switch will connect to the 3750 stack using 2 1000BASE-T SFP transceivers (Trunk: etherchannel or LACP), each one to each 3750-E switch (cross-channel).

What do you think?

Wireless LAN: yes, but as a complement to the wired LAN (conference room, boardroom (is this word in english?, i mean meeting room, for the staff), and so on; internet basically).

With limited budget, why 3750E instead of 3750G?

I can't comment on the ESW-540 because I'm not familiar with it.  At 280w, it will give you 18 ports of 15.4W.

Unless you plan to grow your network, build your shopping list around what you want your router/switch to do rather than buy them and plan what you want to do with them.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Leo said, you do not need 3750-E

The major differences between 3750-E and none E is that with E you have 64Gig horsepower and also 2 10Gig uplinks which you are not using.

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unless you plan to grow your network, build your shopping list around what you want your router/switch to do rather than buy them and plan what you want to do with them.

Thanks both for your comments.

Well, i know 3750-E is expensive, but i need layer 3, i want to stack two switches (maybe three in a future), and yes, i want 10G uplinks (i will connect two uplinks to a NetApp FAS Platform). So, i think, 3750-E is the best option, expensive, but the best.

In the access layer i want POE, voIP, QoS, and to aggregate uplinks via LACP or etherchannel. As i will need 8 10/100/1000 24-port switches, not too much complex, not layer 3... well... 6 units of 2975 switch will be fantastic, but... very expensive... and 8 units of esw 500 model... they seem ok.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: