cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smallest device with NAT, gigabit, and dhcpd?

jasonistre
Level 1
Level 1

I'm decently lost reading through the product literature, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for the smallest Cisco device with IOS having at least 4 gigabit ports and being capable of NAT routing as well as acting as a DHCP server. It also must accept a DHCP address on at least one interface. Any help I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Jason I.

6 Replies 6

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

There is a large difference between have gig interfaces and passing traffic at gig rates.

If you just need the gig interfaces a 3825 or 3845 can more than likely do it. Still a combiantion of layer 2 switch with gig ports using a router on stick method may be more cost effective than tring to put that many gig ports in a chassis

Now if you really need to pass traffic at gig rates on 4 interfaces you are going to have to look at the carrier class routers. Even large 7200 will not do this. When you add NAT on top of this you are going to have all kinds of issues.

I'm not trying to route traffic at gig speed. You may laugh, but im simply looking for something under 8K list that can provide the same functionality as many of the consumer broadband routers (which are available with gigabit today). I want the Cisco IOS and functionality of the cisco management. I don't want seperate devices and PoE is not a concern, though i already have a 1130AG access point.

I was hoping for something small with between 4 or 8 gigabit ports that could NAT route traffic at 3-8Mbps from a cable modem providing a DHCP address. Though it could be static if it must.

It depends why you want gig then. If you go back to 100m you can use something like a 2811 with a extra 4 port switch in a wic slot.

The only reason to need gig is server to server file transfer on the lan. Even then most servers cannot exceed 400m because of internal bus structure issues.

If you want gig and routing and nat I would buy a 3560G-24 and do all you corporate routing/switching on that. You could hook up something like a small 1841 or even some of the 800 series routers to do your NAT/internet

In effect the consumer routers are similar to putting a 2950g infront of a router. They can switch data at gig speed and do very very simple routing. They in no way can do nat at wire speed.

So a 3560G-24 will provide a complete solution with DHCP services and NAT routing? Is an upgrade license needed?

Yes that is correct, i only need gig for workstation to server traffic as in my own testing for disk staged backups its a considerable increase.

Do you know how many fans are in the 3560G-24 and is it loud? ...or even silent?

No you will need a router to sit behind it to run nat to the internet. It can do everything else you need I think. You really don't need the EMI or whatever they are calling the advanced model lately. This contains routing protocols which don't matter when you have few devices.

The NAT requirement is what makes everything hard to get in one box. Using 2 boxes ie a switch and a router make it somewhat easer. This is more your wan/lan design.

They are not silent and have quite a few fans. We run them all the time in conference rooms but they are really designed to live in a IDF or computer room.

I have a similar need - a Cisco box with all the trappings of a Cisco box - plus one Gigabit LAN port that I would downlink to a Gigabit switch. I was looking at Cisco 2811, but I am not too sure if it would give me Gigabit LAN downlink - through HWIC-1GE-SFP with a GLC-T - or through something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card