Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Smartports and Cisco Network Assistant

Hi

A little background first.

I have recently configured 2 x 3750G-12S switches and linked them both together with 2 x fibre trunks.

These switches are acting as 2 core/dist switches with very simillar configurations on both switches.

Core_1 will be root bridge for vlans 1,10,20,30,40 and Core_2 will be root bridge for vlans 50,60,70,100.

Each Vlan is on a different subnet.

Vlan 10 - 10.217.6.0 /24

Vlan 20 - 10.217.7.0 /24

and so on.

SVI's are also configured on both Core_1 and Core_2 and HSRP is splitting the standby routing accross the 2 switches equally.

eg.

Core_1 - Active 10,20,30,40 and Standby 50,60,70,100

Core_2 - Active 50,60,70,100 and standby 10,20,30,40

The VLANs are connected to the corresponding port on each of the 2 x 3750G Core/Dist switches via fibre

Example

Core_1 - GI1/0/3 is trunk for vlan 10 and connects via fibre to the TOP access switch (2960G Lanbase) in the ICT cabinet for vlan 10.

Incendently there are 5 switches in the cabinet for ICT (VLAN 10) and are all linked together via copper in a daisy chain fashion.

Core_2 - GI2/0/3 is trunk for vlan 10 and connects via fibre to the BOTTOM access switch (2960G Lanbase) in the ICT cabinet for vlan 10.

Most Vlans will have a simillar amount of switches in their cabenets too, and are linked the same as above!

My Question

I have installed Cisco Network Assistant and have connected to the network, but I have noticed on Network Assistant, under the "Monitor" tab and then "Event Notification" I see a 5-Notification message.

The message reads:

"Recommended Smartports roles not applied".

I have worked out that you can modify the ports role from here, but I'm not sure of a fews things!

1. Should I modify the 2 x trunk ports between each of the Core/Dist switches?

and if so, what role will I give them, Switch or Router? (as both 3750G's cores are running L2 and L3),

2.For Trunk ports assigned to specific vlans on the 2 x 3750G's(cores), I believe these should be assigned the role of a switch, but should I select Vlan 1(default) as the Native Vlan under the "Attributes"??

3. Why use smartports, what are the benefits ?

Thanks for your time

Many thanks

Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content