Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp traps on switchport security violation

Hi,

I configured switch interface to switchport security in sticky mode with violation is restricted. The snmp traps are continously sending to log server if violation occur. I want to fix the snmp trap only one time if any violation in mac-address. Any suggestion???

Thanks,

Aman

4 Replies 4

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure I understand the question.

From what I understand you have the following assigned to an interface:

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

switchport port-security violation restrict

(some sort of snmp trap command)

You currently are recieving snmp trap alerts more frequently then you want.  If this is correct check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a05.shtml

If you still have questions let us know and good luck.

Dear Friends,

thanks for the response, Actually I have resolved the issue, by using the command switchport port-security violation shutdown

Once you apply this command, cisco document shows that it also generate the snmp trap for the violation occur, but after the port shuts down, there will be no trap again received on the syslog server since the interface is shutdown and unable to send any trap......

Once one snmp trap is received on the syslog............. I get this resolved by applying this command.. !!!

Thanks,

Aman

I have tested this as well and can not get a snmp trap for a violation of shutdown, but restrict sends a heap load of snmp traps.  Anyone have any other advice for a snmp trap to be sent for a port security event with the result of shutdown violation?

I know this is a late reply but you have to make sure to enable trap messages specifically for port-security in the snmp-server config:

snmp-server enable traps port-security

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card