Views
Helpful
Replies

Software For Testing MAC Table Count

mhdganji110
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

A Network Lab (governmental) did not let our cisco 2960s switches to be imported to the country and said

"according to my lab tests, the maximum mac that your switch can learn is about 500 but as cisco says it should be about 8000"

they did not give me their software but i like to test it myself

Is there a software which generates thousands of MAC and inject them into switch to test the real amount shown in show mac count ?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Interesting that a mac table would allow switches to be imported or not, that i have never heard anything about before.

Many years ago there was a software called macoff.

that generated a load of mac addresses o be sent towards switches.

If you can not find that software then any packet generator software can do this, but this will take more time.

Good luck

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Interesting that a mac table would allow switches to be imported or not, that i have never heard anything about before.

Many years ago there was a software called macoff.

that generated a load of mac addresses o be sent towards switches.

If you can not find that software then any packet generator software can do this, but this will take more time.

Good luck

HTH

they don't allow import because they think the product is either fake or has a very low quality and performance

thank for Macof. i noticed that while you were answering

is it just for linux or are there windows versions ?

also i will be thankful for any other software (newer, with GUI and more capabilities)

Hi again

Interesting reason.

Scapy I think would do the trick but I have not used it myself for this purpose.

HTH

Good luck

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card