Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Something like DNS doctoring on a Series 1800 router?

Is there something like dns doctoring available on a series 1800 (1812 to be specific) router that would allow private clients to access the public IP address of a web server on the private network that is NATed on port 80 from the public IP to a private IP?

When private IP clients try to access the Web server via the public IP address, it pulls up the login screen for the 1800's SDM management web page. Anyone outside the router hits the public IP address and gets the Web server via NAT.

I am supposing the problem is that the private clients use DNS servers that are hosted by our ISP. DNS doctoring solves this, from what I can tell, but all I can find on the Internet are instructions to perform DNS doctoring for a PIX firewall. But those commands don't work on the 1800 series (particularly the static command and the DNS keyword).

Any help would be appreciated, since I'm getting my can kicked on this one.

1 REPLY

Re: Something like DNS doctoring on a Series 1800 router?

Joe,

I don't know of any IOS equivalent command for alias or static w/dns keyword that exists on a PIX. However, I think you may be able to accomplilsh what you are trying to do with NAT on-a-stick. This should allow communication between the inside devices using the global IP.

Check out the second example in the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094430.shtml

Let us know if it helps. If possible I shall try to lab it up and share the outcome.

Good Luck!!

HTH

Sundar

Views
Helpful
Replies