cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN and RSPAN with VLAN question

ddcarlson
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to figure this out. I'm hoping someone can help me out. We have two 3560 series switches (we'll call them A & B). VLAN 5 traffic is spread accross both switches. I want to monitor all VLAN 5 traffic to port 24 of switch A. If I do this I can only see traffic happening on the local switch (A):

monitor session 1 source vlan 5

monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/24

I tried to setup RSPAN, but it seems like it will only monitor traffic from the remote switch of VLAN 5. It doesn't seem to let me mix both. How can I do this?

Thanks, -D

3 Replies 3

fzamora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately is not possible. You will required a third switch in order to use it as a RSPAN destination from the other two.

Franco Zamora

fzamora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

More information:

The switch does not support a combination of local SPAN and RSPAN in a single session. That is, an RSPAN source session cannot have a local destination port, an RSPAN destination session cannot have a local source port, and an RSPAN destination session and an RSPAN source session that are using the same RSPAN VLAN cannot run on the same switch.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12235se/scg1/swspan.htm#wp1251490

It looks like I got it working with TACS help:

On the switch that has destination port, please try the following configuration.

monitor session 1 source vlan

monitor session 1 destination interface

On the Remote switch,

monitor session 1 destination remote vlan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card