Views
Helpful
Replies

Span Switch

Mhon Baul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to inquire if ever i put a pc w/ a wireshark member of a vlan for ex. vlan 200,then i run the wireshark is it normal that i see the traffic of other pc even they are on another switch but still member of vlan 200? Appreciate all of your response!

cheers!

reymon

4 Replies 4

Beat.Traber
Level 1
Level 1

Reymon,

it is normal for a span session that you see broadcasts, multicasts, unknown unicasts of the same vlan, but you should not see other traffic

Beat

hi beat,

thanks for your response. i havent configured span on the switch, i just run the wireshark and seen the traffic of the two host that were in the same vlan but different switch.

Span is used to see traffic on that switch along with other broadcasts and unicast, however if you want to see the traffic on the same vlan, but different swtiches, you need to use Rspan.

yes you are right, but i want to clarify if it is possible to see traffic of two host on the same vlan but different switch even i did'nt configure span on the switch. i just run the wireshark on the pc.

cheers!

reymon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card