Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-Tree config for a looped cable LAN

maverick-lamont
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hopoing someone could help clarify if the below config could work,  or if it is just a no no.

I am dealing with 2 DC's operating with a stretcheld LAN configuration using plain dot1q. 

We have a 1GB LAN link between the 2 of them and an older 100MB LAN link.

Can this configuration work:

DC1-CORE-1 - 1GB LAN Link - DC2-CORE-1

DC1-CORE-1 - 1GB - DC1-CORE-2

DC1-CORE2 - 100MB LAN Link - DC2-CORE2

DC2-CORE1 - 1GB - DC2-CORE2

It truly is a looped LAN configuration but we want to the 100MB to just act as a secondary path in the event a 1GB goes down.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Hello
stp port priority and cost should converge to the 1gb links.

Can you post he out put from

Sh trunks
Sh span int xxx

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

At the moment the 100MB is disconnected becuase the loop crashed the network even with the spanning-tree setup.  I am not sure how usefull those outputs will be with the 100MB disconnected and I would prefer not to post that info. 

Basically the 100MB had the same priority as the 1GB links but thre was a higher cost for them so I would expect the spanning tree to do the job and block over the 100MB. 

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks

David

David

I'm sure you haven't so please don't take offence but the ports don't have portfast on them do they ?

Also, have you changed any port costs or have you left them at the default ?

STP should block on one of the 100Mbps ports. Which one depends on which switch is the root bridge for the vlans.

Are these trunk links or access port links. If trunks can you confirm the native vlan is the same on both ends of the trunk ? Even if they are not it should not cause a loop as STP shoul shut one of the ports down but worth checking.

What was the sequence of events ie. the minute you brought the interfaces up did it crash the network or was it up and running for a while ?

Which version of STP are you running ?

I appreciate it is difficult with it disconnected but to the best of your knowledge is the 100Mbps link working properly in terms of bidirectional traffic ?

It's difficult to be more precise because as you say any STP outputs now wouid not be that helpful.

Jon

Hey I think I have found the problem.

I can see CORE-1 in both DC's are root for the VLAN's.

And the trunk between dc2-core-1 and dc2-core-2 is ISL and the rest are 802.1q

Will correct and then I think it will come right and let you know.

Thanks

David

Hello
have you checked the cabling?
Do you have any layer one device (hub) attached to either of these switches which could possibly introduced a loop?
Do you have any old span sessions related this these ports?
Is stp being disabled via bpdu filters
Are these trunks and if so are they set to negotiate trunking?
Are these ports aggregated?
Could you post the config for these ports?

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

To clarify, this is your setup and each of the links are dot1q trunks?

Are you running Rapid-PVST?

Assuming you have not changed any of the costs or the port priorities then the 100mb link should be put into a blocking state.

Can you post the output from each of the interfaces that interconnect the switches?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card