Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-tree logging

davidwilko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there away on the Cisco 6500/7600 platforms to enable spanning-tree log messages?

The Cisco 4948's have a configuration option to enable it "spanning-tree logging"
I can't see a similar one on the 6500/7600s

The sort of messages I am looking for are like the following.

%SPANTREE-5-TOPOTRAP: Topology Change Trap for vlan 1078
%SPANTREE-5-ROOTCHANGE: Root Changed for vlan 1078: New Root Port is GigabitEthernet0/52. New Root Mac Address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
%SPANTREE-5-TOPOTRAP: Topology Change Trap for vlan 1672
%SPANTREE-5-ROOTCHANGE: Root Changed for vlan 1672: New Root Port is TenGigabitEthernet1/49. New Root Mac Address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
%SPANTREE-5-TOPOTRAP: Topology Change Trap for vlan 1078
%SPANTREE-5-ROOTCHANGE: Root Changed for vlan 1078: New Root Port is Port-channel1. New Root Mac Address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Many Thanks

David

4 Replies 4

Hi Dave,

You can enable STP debugging then configure logging trap to debugging level:

#debug spanning-tree event

Ensure you have your time stamps, plenty of logging buffer and/or a syslog server configured

a. service timestamp

b. SW(config)#logging trap  debugging 

HTH

Houtan

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As said there is no similar command other than debug on 6500.

NOTE: you need to enable the debug spanning-tree on the SP mode.

Eg:

Remote login switch

debug spanning-tree events

And then configure the logging trap.

2)

Alternate way to use the EEM script.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Aninda Chatterjee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aside from what everyone else has said, you might want to use the 'logging event spanning-tree status' interface level command as well. This does not seem to display the sort of messages you are looking for but it does display state changes for spanning-tree for the interfaces you have enabled them on like so:

*Oct 23 05:27:55.067: %SPANTREE-SW1-6-PORT_STATE: Port Po20 instance 1 moving from learning to disabled
*Oct 23 05:27:55.067: %SPANTREE-SW1-6-PORT_STATE: Port Po20 instance 2 moving from learning to disabled
*Oct 23 05:27:55.067: %SPANTREE-SW1-6-PORT_STATE: Port Po20 instance 3 moving from learning to disabled
*Oct 23 05:27:55.067: %SPANTREE-SW1-6-PORT_STATE: Port Po20 instance 10 moving from learning to disabled

Regards,

Aninda

Hi,

I have looked at the "debug spanning-tree event" command and it does seem to be a noisier thank we would like

I will have a play with the debug commands and see if I can filter it out a bit, if not might have to filter it out at the syslog server level.

Only really interested in seeing what we see on the 4948s, Don't need to see the state of each port changing from learning to forwarding/blocking, etc

Regards

David

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card