cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning-tree portfast question

just1byte
Level 1
Level 1

This may sound like a dumb question but here goes: Is it correct to enable spanning-tree portfast on a switch port that is connected to a router. I know that this port should be a trunk port and it should not have to listen to the BPDU's so there should be no reason that it cant go directly from blocking to forwarding correct??? Never mind I found my answer below. This operates at layer 2 so the router doesnt matter. Thanks anyway

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

portfast is a good idea to have enabled for router ports. if you were to issue a shutdown command on the router interface, it would take about 45 seconds for the switchport to come back up after you brought the router interface back up from admin down. This is because each part of the stp state is about 15 seconds. having port fast enabled would allow you to shutdown a router port, renable and immediatly start routing traffic.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

portfast is a good idea to have enabled for router ports. if you were to issue a shutdown command on the router interface, it would take about 45 seconds for the switchport to come back up after you brought the router interface back up from admin down. This is because each part of the stp state is about 15 seconds. having port fast enabled would allow you to shutdown a router port, renable and immediatly start routing traffic.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can enable spanning-tree portfast on a router port connected to a switch.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: