Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Spanning tree root change

I am upgrading some hardware and want to move the STP root bridge primary and secondary with least disruption possible. We have about 20 VLANs, does it make any difference if 'spanning-tree vlan X root primary' commands are entered all at once for all the VLANs, and then do secondary for all the VLANs? Would it be better to do one VLAN at a time, letting the topology complete the transition before starting another? I'm thinking the device would buffer the commands and complete them all, but I don't want to lock everything up. There's about 20 switches in the network, but each is directly attached to primary and/or secondary. thanks for any advice

1 REPLY
Blue

Re: Spanning tree root change

If youre running pvst+, you may just want to migrate the root bridge for each vlan one at a time. It should converge almost instantaneously. Then move on to the next vlan. Its only 20, so it wont take long.

You can probably take a more aggressive approach, but if you're concerned about downtime, this is the safest route.

Views
Helpful
Replies