Helpful
Replies

Sporadic Internet access interruptions

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

On Clients Internet router we see these logs

232900669: 283644183: Jan 16 08:34:44 UTC: %SYS-2-CHUNKEXPANDFAIL: Could not expand chunk pool for FW sis. No memory available -Process= "Chunk Manager", ipl= 4, pid= 1

Need to know if router has any memory issues?

Telnet to Router is also taking time.

Regards

Mahesh

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's possible. Something in the router is requesting memory, but it's not able to allocate it. Can you post "sh ver", "sh mem" and "show proce" when you are able to get in? It could be a bug in IOS as well (reason for sh ver).

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Mahesh,

Does this router run a zbfw or cbac? I'm having a hard time finding a bug, but the "FW sis" indicates that it could be firewall related. Possibly too many connections? You could update the IOS to see if it resolves the issue. Most of the time it's software related.

HTH,
John

Hi Mahesh,

This maybe a bug in the IOS that does not allow memory allocation/expansion.  I would try a different version of IOS, before deciding if there is any hardware issue.

HTH

Reza

Mahesh,

I would recommend updating the IOS. You may never see the problem again, but it could also get worse.

HTH,
John

I will agree with the rest, Mahesh. 

This could be a potential IOS fault and will get worst.  It was working awhile now because the memory was still controllable however the process didn't know how to "return" un-used memory back to the pool until now. 

Try upgrading the IOS.  You might see some relief. 

10 Replies 10

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's possible. Something in the router is requesting memory, but it's not able to allocate it. Can you post "sh ver", "sh mem" and "show proce" when you are able to get in? It could be a bug in IOS as well (reason for sh ver).

HTH,
John

Hi John,

I have added the output to the original post.

Regards

MAhesh

Mahesh,

Does this router run a zbfw or cbac? I'm having a hard time finding a bug, but the "FW sis" indicates that it could be firewall related. Possibly too many connections? You could update the IOS to see if it resolves the issue. Most of the time it's software related.

HTH,
John

Hi John,

This Router has ip inspect session enabled so it is running cbac.

Regards

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

This maybe a bug in the IOS that does not allow memory allocation/expansion.  I would try a different version of IOS, before deciding if there is any hardware issue.

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza,

IT was working fine from last sometime.

We rebooted the router and this has helped to free up the memory.

Regards

Mahesh

Mahesh,

I would recommend updating the IOS. You may never see the problem again, but it could also get worse.

HTH,
John

I will agree with the rest, Mahesh. 

This could be a potential IOS fault and will get worst.  It was working awhile now because the memory was still controllable however the process didn't know how to "return" un-used memory back to the pool until now. 

Try upgrading the IOS.  You might see some relief. 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

Will upgrade the IOS as issue occur few times.

Regards

Mahesh

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Mahesh. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: