cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH access to trunked switch

danewoodall
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a C2960 (sw01) and a C2948. (sw02) The sw02 switch is trunked with sw01, and is meant to serve as an extension to the VLANs (1-4) that exist on sw01. It is trunking properly, however, how would I go about giving the sw02 an IP so that I can access it via SSH? Would I have to create a VLAN specifically on sw02 with an ip and switchport an interface to use it? I know that a VLAN can only have a single IP, but I'd like sw02 to have an IP on VLAN1 (192.168.1.0 subnet), is that possible?

Am I explaining this properly?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It could be an address in any one of the existing vlans . That looks like a catos switch . I believe it would be like  "

set interface sc0 [vlan] [ip_addr[/netmask] [broadcast]]  .   The add you gateway  set ip route default .   For ssh add  set crypto key rsa nbits .  You will  need crypto version of catos code if you don't already have it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

Both switches should belong to one management(native) vlan. When you decided which vlan to use, give both swiches an ip address in same subnet. Yes you can use Vlan 1 and have S1 configured with 192.168.1.1/24 and S2 with 192.168.1.2/24.

Hope this helps

Eugen

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It could be an address in any one of the existing vlans . That looks like a catos switch . I believe it would be like  "

set interface sc0 [vlan] [ip_addr[/netmask] [broadcast]]  .   The add you gateway  set ip route default .   For ssh add  set crypto key rsa nbits .  You will  need crypto version of catos code if you don't already have it.

So specifying an IP on an existing vlan (vlan1=192.168.1.0 where I want the address) that already has an IP on the other (sw01) switch won't kill the IP on the other switch? Is the restriction of 1 IP per VLAN a switch-based limitation?

No it wont kill anything , these are layer 2 switches only and the only reason it has an address is to manage the switch .It just has to be a unique address within vlan 1 that is not being used. Seeing it is to only manage the switch why would you need more than 1 address on it ?  A L3 switch you can create as many as you want .  It is like any other device in vlan 1 like a server or pc .  The switches with an ip address is just another device on vlan 1 .

Ok, cool. Unfortunately I left my device off-site in an unmanagable state, so I'll have to go on site and set up the IP on vlan1 on sw02 before I can confirm, but it seems like I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks glen.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card