Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SSH access to trunked switch

I've got a C2960 (sw01) and a C2948. (sw02) The sw02 switch is trunked with sw01, and is meant to serve as an extension to the VLANs (1-4) that exist on sw01. It is trunking properly, however, how would I go about giving the sw02 an IP so that I can access it via SSH? Would I have to create a VLAN specifically on sw02 with an ip and switchport an interface to use it? I know that a VLAN can only have a single IP, but I'd like sw02 to have an IP on VLAN1 (192.168.1.0 subnet), is that possible?

Am I explaining this properly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

It could be an address in any one of the existing vlans . That looks like a catos switch . I believe it would be like  "

set interface sc0 [vlan] [ip_addr[/netmask] [broadcast]]  .   The add you gateway  set ip route default .   For ssh add  set crypto key rsa nbits .  You will  need crypto version of catos code if you don't already have it.

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: SSH access to trunked switch

Both switches should belong to one management(native) vlan. When you decided which vlan to use, give both swiches an ip address in same subnet. Yes you can use Vlan 1 and have S1 configured with 192.168.1.1/24 and S2 with 192.168.1.2/24.

Hope this helps

Eugen

Purple

It could be an address in any one of the existing vlans . That looks like a catos switch . I believe it would be like  "

set interface sc0 [vlan] [ip_addr[/netmask] [broadcast]]  .   The add you gateway  set ip route default .   For ssh add  set crypto key rsa nbits .  You will  need crypto version of catos code if you don't already have it.

So specifying an IP on an existing vlan (vlan1=192.168.1.0 where I want the address) that already has an IP on the other (sw01) switch won't kill the IP on the other switch? Is the restriction of 1 IP per VLAN a switch-based limitation?

Purple

Re: SSH access to trunked switch

No it wont kill anything , these are layer 2 switches only and the only reason it has an address is to manage the switch .It just has to be a unique address within vlan 1 that is not being used. Seeing it is to only manage the switch why would you need more than 1 address on it ?  A L3 switch you can create as many as you want .  It is like any other device in vlan 1 like a server or pc .  The switches with an ip address is just another device on vlan 1 .

Ok, cool. Unfortunately I left my device off-site in an unmanagable state, so I'll have to go on site and set up the IP on vlan1 on sw02 before I can confirm, but it seems like I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks glen.

Views
Helpful
Replies