Views
Helpful
Replies

Stable IOS for 4506/Sup2+

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Do you have any recommended stable IOS for 4506 with Sup2+ engine? We are just using basic VLAN and VVLAN settings for these switches but we are experiencing tons of unexpected switch reboot for the past months. I know it's very hard to look for a stable one but we are looking for a code that lasted 3 or 4 years without any issues. =)

Thanks in advance.

John

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco will always tell you to go to the latest version as it has all the latest patches. I will usually go with the next to the latest if it's not in a deferred status . If the latest one is brand new then there hasn't enough time to find any bugs. If its been out 6 months and it hasn't been deferred then I would use that. The latest is 12.2.53SG which has been out since July . Don't use the EWA train as it's end of life. If its always rebooting you might have a hardware issue also.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Glen. If it started to reboot for no apparent reason then you've got something broken or about-to break.

What is the result of the "sh version"? Are there any crashinfo files? Was there any configuration changes prior to the switch start rebooting?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card