cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack cable on single 3750 switch

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

I know it seems a strange question, but connecting a stack cable between port 1 and port 2 on a single 3750 switch, could this be harmfull in any way ?

<br />

<br />I checked it and found no real problem, but wanted to verify anyway.

<br />

<br />regards,

<br />Geert

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Geert,

whatever protocol Cisco uses on the stackwise to build a ring you it uses some form of MAC address so the device should detect itself.

This can be a way to keep the cable on the device ready to be used in the future when you will add a second switch.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I guess the main reason my customer wants this is that in SNMP (HPOV) the "Stack-Port interface" will be up (green) as in a normal stack. This way there is no difference between a real stack and a single switch.

Could he not just set the port as unmanaged in HPOV?

Yes of course, but prefers not to do it manually, but with a script (ie disable port with "Stack" in name). However, on a REAL stack, we would not want to unmanage the interfaces. Switches are added and removed all the time in his (world-wide) network, and we don't want this "manage" "unmanage" stuff to become a full-time job...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, there is no harm. And you will NOT see any benefits either. I guess it's just a good place to put the cable when the time comes. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: