Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack of 2 switches connected with single cable

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

We have setup where 2- 3750 switches are in stack but connected with single cable only.

sh switch stack-ring  speed

Stack Ring Speed        : 16G
Stack Ring Configuration: Half
Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise

Need to know what we are losing apart the redundancy of using 2 cables?

Will this have impact on network performance --  like speed etc?    using single cable instead of 2 ?

Regards

Mahesh

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mahesh,

You need both cables to get the entire backplane bandwidth of 32Gig full duplex.  With one cable, it is only 16Gig.

Also, as you know if you loose that cable, you loose the stack.

Thanks,

Reza

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at your "Stack Ring Speed".  See it says only 16 G?  If you use a single cable, you'll get this result.  If you use both cables, you get 32 Gbps.

So if i use both cables then traffic input and output from the switch will be more faster right?

Traffic BETWEEN the stack members will be twice as fast.

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mahesh,

You need both cables to get the entire backplane bandwidth of 32Gig full duplex.  With one cable, it is only 16Gig.

Also, as you know if you loose that cable, you loose the stack.

Thanks,

Reza

Hi Reza,

After getting all the replies here i will put second cable in.

Best regards

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

Yes, that is a good idea, because if your have only one cable and that breaks, it can cause an outage.

Thanks,

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at your "Stack Ring Speed".  See it says only 16 G?  If you use a single cable, you'll get this result.  If you use both cables, you get 32 Gbps.

Hi Leo,

So if i use both cables then traffic input and output from the switch will be more faster right?

Regards

Mahesh

Hi Leo,

Many thanks i will work on to add the second cable to stack switches.

Regards

Mahesh

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Leo Laohoo wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Mahesh,

I second what Leo said.  You are always very generous with rating our posts.

Thanks again

Reza

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Leo Laohoo wrote:

BTW, potentially might be good adjective unless individual flows are split between stack ports and/or you start to congest a single stack port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card