cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Power Group WS-C3750X-12S-E with WS-C3750X-48P-E

Chris Gill
Level 1
Level 1

So we have a couple network uplifts this year where the core will be two WS-C3750X-12S-E (350w powre supply) stacked with two WS-C3750X-48P-E (715w Power Supply) for a single four switch stack.

My question is can this be setup as a singe Stack Power group so that the 715w supplies in the WS-C3750X-48P-E can be used as backups for the 350w supplies in the fiber WS-C3750X-12S-E?  If not I will have to set the WS-C3750X-12S-E as their own stack power group and the other switches as their own.

We will also have a spare power supply in one of the WS-C3750X-48P-E for a total of 5 power supplies for the stack.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

(Bear with me.  This question seems very much like one I posted to the other day, but with the new revised forums, I'm unable to find that recent posting.)

As Reza has noted, yes you can.  However, you need to determine if there will be sufficient excess power if a 350W PS fails.  There's also the converse, whether there's sufficient excess power if a 715W PS fails.  Much will depend on how much PoE you'll be drawing on the 48Ps.

The extra PS (also 715W) should make it more likely you'll have enough excess power.

There is a limit, though, of 2000W via a StackPower cable.  So, ideally, you'll want to place power supplies to minimize the need to draw power through the StackPower cables, both normally, and in cases were a PS fails.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can have the larger PSUs backup the stack.

See figure-6 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-x-series-switches/white_paper_c11-578931.html

HTH

Thank you.  When I looked at that figure in the white sheets I saw the Xs and was thinking that it couldn't be done.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

(Bear with me.  This question seems very much like one I posted to the other day, but with the new revised forums, I'm unable to find that recent posting.)

As Reza has noted, yes you can.  However, you need to determine if there will be sufficient excess power if a 350W PS fails.  There's also the converse, whether there's sufficient excess power if a 715W PS fails.  Much will depend on how much PoE you'll be drawing on the 48Ps.

The extra PS (also 715W) should make it more likely you'll have enough excess power.

There is a limit, though, of 2000W via a StackPower cable.  So, ideally, you'll want to place power supplies to minimize the need to draw power through the StackPower cables, both normally, and in cases were a PS fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card