Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacked 3750g routing failover

josephp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

Hope all is well. I have a stacked 3750g's that are peering with 2 ISP running BGP (multi-homed). 1 isp is pluged directly on a port on the stack master and the other isp is on a member for redundancy. I also have a 3925 that have 4 connections to the the stacked (2 ports on each switch on the stack) that I use as a back connection peering OSPF with the 3750g.

I need a little help in understanding how the failover happens on a Stacked 3750g. If the stack master fails, does the routing process drop during the election and then re-establish the peering?

Thank you in advanced I appreciate any help.

Best Regards,

JP

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

From the StackWise document notes that:

When one master switch becomes inactive and while a new master is elected, the stack continues to function. Layer 2 connectivity continues unaffected. The new master uses its hot standby unicast table to continue processing unicast traffic. Multicast tables and routing tables are flushed and reloaded to avoid loops. Layer 3 resiliency is protected with NSF, which gracefully and rapidly transitions Layer 3 forwarding from the old to new master node.
So, it seems that your routes get flushed and repububilted in a case when the master goes inactive
HTH
Reza
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card