cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking NME-16ES-1G-P ethernet switch modules?

blackladyJR
Level 1
Level 1

Need some clarification on this stacking capability of NME-16ES-1G-P ethernet switch modules.

Cisco Support docs seem to indicate this module (and several others) are capable of stacking with full-blown 3750-type switches.

Documentation Examples show a NME-XD-24ES-1S-P module using stackwise ports to interconnect with 3750 switches.

NME-16ES-1G-P do not have stackwise ports and it's unclear how stacking is supposed be physically connected and an appropriate configlet?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance,

2 Replies 2

vragotha
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/conneths.html#wp1124116

NME-16ES-1G-P does not have any stackwise ports

Can you include the documentation that says it is supported?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f.html

NME-XD-24ES-1S-P is the only one with stackwise capability

Hello,

Yes I am aware that NME-16ES-1G-P do not have stackwise port so wondering if stacking is supported in it.

"The Cisco EtherSwitch service modules (NME-16ES-1G, NME-16ES-1G-P, NME-X-23ES-1G, NME-X-23ES-1G-P, NME-XD-48ES-2S-P, and NME-XD-24ES-1S-P) provide Cisco modular access routers the ability to stack Cisco EtherSwitch service modules as Layer 2 switches using Cisco StackWise technology."

This quote just talks about stacking and include all these module part number instead of just single out NME-XD-24ES-1S-P in this statement so it can be misleading or maybe it really mean all of these can do stacking.

In my production network NME-16ES-1G-P, if I do "show stack-ports", I do see an output as below.  If it does not have stacking ability, what is this output for and why is it there?  That's why I am not sure whether it can or cannot do stacking. 

router#sh switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1          Down         Down 

thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card