Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Stacking NME-16ES-1G-P ethernet switch modules?

Need some clarification on this stacking capability of NME-16ES-1G-P ethernet switch modules.

Cisco Support docs seem to indicate this module (and several others) are capable of stacking with full-blown 3750-type switches.

Documentation Examples show a NME-XD-24ES-1S-P module using stackwise ports to interconnect with 3750 switches.

NME-16ES-1G-P do not have stackwise ports and it's unclear how stacking is supposed be physically connected and an appropriate configlet?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance,

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Stacking NME-16ES-1G-P ethernet switch modules?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/conneths.html#wp1124116

NME-16ES-1G-P does not have any stackwise ports

Can you include the documentation that says it is supported?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f.html

NME-XD-24ES-1S-P is the only one with stackwise capability

Re: Stacking NME-16ES-1G-P ethernet switch modules?

Hello,

Yes I am aware that NME-16ES-1G-P do not have stackwise port so wondering if stacking is supported in it.

"The Cisco EtherSwitch service modules (NME-16ES-1G, NME-16ES-1G-P, NME-X-23ES-1G, NME-X-23ES-1G-P, NME-XD-48ES-2S-P, and NME-XD-24ES-1S-P) provide Cisco modular access routers the ability to stack Cisco EtherSwitch service modules as Layer 2 switches using Cisco StackWise technology."

This quote just talks about stacking and include all these module part number instead of just single out NME-XD-24ES-1S-P in this statement so it can be misleading or maybe it really mean all of these can do stacking.

In my production network NME-16ES-1G-P, if I do "show stack-ports", I do see an output as below.  If it does not have stacking ability, what is this output for and why is it there?  That's why I am not sure whether it can or cannot do stacking. 

router#sh switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1          Down         Down 

thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content