Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking problem on 2960S switches

I have a couple 2960S (WS-C2960S-48TD-L) switches.  One is currently running standalone and provisioned.  I want to attach the other via stacking modules/cables.  The second unit has not been provisioned.  I have observed that with the stacking module installed in the unprovisioned switch, either prior to power up or afterwards, the switch has no problem dealing with the module.  On the provisioned switch, though, upon inserting its stacking module while running, the console reports a probem to the effect that the module may not be authentic:

%ILET-1-DEVICE_AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: The FlexStack Module inserted in this switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization. If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet. Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

Since the provisioned switch is in production, we can't reload or update the firmware on a whim.  But if we do simply reload it, will the stacking module be properly recognized, or do we need to update the firmware?  Both switches are running IOS v12.2(55)SE7.

Thanks,

Mike

4 Replies 4

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Mike,

I suggest opening a TAC case for this issue and also keep the sale letter handy for this hardware. As once authenticated they may issue you a new license for this device.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
%ILET-1-DEVICE_AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: The FlexStack Module inserted in this switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization. If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet. Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

I must've seen this several times since the 2960S came out.  The "fix" (if you'd like to call it that), is very simple:  

• Remove the stacking module;
  • Slap it against a flat surface several times (not too hard, you're NOT suppose to destroy it, just JAR it). 
  • Re-insert.  

WTF?  Maybe.  Am I serious?  Yes.  How-many-times-have-I-done-this vs How-many-times-did-I-contact-TAC-to-get-the-stacking-module-replaced?  How about >12:0.  

We have a reload scheduled for late this afternoon, and I'll report back on the results.  I doubt the suggestion Leo provided will do anything, as I've tried swapping the modules between the two switches, and the provisioned switch reports the same message with either, but the unprovisioned switch is a "happy camper" with either.

Regards,

Mike

The reload was all it took. Cisco says the module is hot-swappable, and I did a quick perusal through the release notes for newer versions of IOS that apply to this platform, but I didn't see anything addressing this apparent bug.  If I had to guess, I'd peg the fact that the switch was already provisioned as the problem.  Luckily, a reload apparently gets around the issue, but of course that plan of action isn't always available.

Cheers,

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card