Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Stacking Question 3524

Hello:

I'm trying to stack some older 3524 XL's and although I get the green light on the modules and sh int says they are up, they are not being seen as stacked. I checked the min software requiremetns and it says 12.1. If I look on Cisco, I can't find softwware newer that version 12.0 which is what I'm running. Is it possible taht that's the only software being made available by Cisco. I kow these are old switches but there are alot out there and I can't find any newer software than 12.0??

What am I missing

6 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Re: Stacking Question 3524

DJ214 wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to stack some older 3524 XL's and although I get the green light on the modules and sh int says they are up, they are not being seen as stacked. I checked the min software requiremetns and it says 12.1. If I look on Cisco, I can't find softwware newer that version 12.0 which is what I'm running. Is it possible taht that's the only software being made available by Cisco. I kow these are old switches but there are alot out there and I can't find any newer software than 12.0??

What am I missing

Hello DJ,

when you say stack are you talking about stacking like the 3750 switch? 3524-XL switches are not Stackable.  From you description above it seems that Are you daisy chaining them together right?

HTH

Reza

Hello all - I'm using the gigastax module and thought they would behave like a normal stack. From what I'm reading, I guess not. Thanks everyone

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

You can't stack 3524s as they don't have a stacking port but you can cluster them.

Please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc_1_/swg/swgclust.html

Hall of Fame Super Gold

What's the result with the command "sh cluster members" or "sh cluster candidates"?

sh cluster yields - not a management cluster member

Purple

i think he is using the old gigastack ports on the devices and then trying to create a switch cluster.   Those were ugly and  real pain when you had to go looking for a particular mac address .  software version should be fine.  Are you using gigastack cables to tie them together ?  You can't use standard cat 5.

More info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800a2cac.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content