cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking vs Daisy Chain

DOUGLAS EVANS
Level 1
Level 1

Working on a project to cleanup and replace a network of older switches and hubs. Some of the units are daisy-chained together using a 10/100 port. I would like to present a case for using stackable switches vs daisy chainging them in this fashion. Can someone give me some good info or point me to some docs or white paper. Thanks

DJE

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Useing a stackable switch like the 3750 is ok , avoid useing any clustering feature , this makes it extremely difficult in try to trace down ip and mac's if clustering is used and or daisy chaining . Use a stacking switch like the 3750 or a chassis based on like the 4500 series for larger closets.

One of the best slides from Networkers outlining daisy chaining dangers. See attachment.

Although I accept the design scenario depicted within the slide does present a potential black-hole, the same cannot be said when there are just two access switches.

I'm reading that the main disadvantage is that uplink bandwidth is reduced by 50% each time a switch is added to the chain.

-Ajaz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: