Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Stacking vs Daisy Chain

Working on a project to cleanup and replace a network of older switches and hubs. Some of the units are daisy-chained together using a 10/100 port. I would like to present a case for using stackable switches vs daisy chainging them in this fashion. Can someone give me some good info or point me to some docs or white paper. Thanks

DJE

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Stacking vs Daisy Chain

Useing a stackable switch like the 3750 is ok , avoid useing any clustering feature , this makes it extremely difficult in try to trace down ip and mac's if clustering is used and or daisy chaining . Use a stacking switch like the 3750 or a chassis based on like the 4500 series for larger closets.

One of the best slides from Networkers outlining daisy chaining dangers. See attachment.

Silver

Although I accept the design scenario depicted within the slide does present a potential black-hole, the same cannot be said when there are just two access switches.

I'm reading that the main disadvantage is that uplink bandwidth is reduced by 50% each time a switch is added to the chain.

-Ajaz

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content