Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise notifications

Hello community,

We have a couple of 2960S switches in our environment stacked in pairs. I have enabled traps related to the stack:

snmp-server enable traps stackwise port-change

snmp-server enable traps stackwise new-master

snmp-server enable traps stackwise stack-mismatch

snmp-server enable traps stackwise new-member

snmp-server enable traps stackwise member-removed

and traps are supposed to be sent to the server:

snmp-server host ip_address community_string.

Although most configured traps (linkup/linkdown etc) are sent from this switch, stack related traps are never sent.

We also noticed that for all 2960S we have the following value:

ciscoStackWiseMIBObjects.cswGlobals.cswEnableStackNotifications.0:false

Which means:

"This object indicates whether the system generates the

notifications defined in this MIB or not.  A value  of

'false' will prevent the notifications from being  sent."

This is regardless of the IOS running on the stack...

According to Cisco the specific MIB is supported by c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin which is one of the IOS running on some of the stacks and not by c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE2.bin (running on some other switches). I would have thought that at least for the stacks running the 1st IOS 12.2(55)SE3 the value should have been true.

Any thoughts? Is there something that needs to be enabled for the traps to be sent? Does the value of cswEnableStackNotifications.0 need to be true for traps to be sent?

Thank you in advance,

Katerina

3 Replies 3

I managed to change the value of the object ciscoStackWiseMIBObjects.cswGlobals.cswEnableStackNotifications.0 to true, using snmp set command. The value was changed regardless of IOS (?).

I now need to trigger the alarm, to see if notifications will be sent. Is there another way to enable the specific notifications?

Hi Katerina

Did this ever become resolved and if so wwas a case of setig the MIB variable to true?

Hello billy,

the traps are now being sent. It worked after changing the ciscoStackWiseMIBObjects.cswGlobals.cswEnableStackNotifications.0  value from false to true, using snmp set commands.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card