Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Standard Logging

I have a switch (3750x) which has been configured to point to a syslog server (tftp32) temporarily.  Example: ip logging host 10.10.5.55. 

Orion has since then been stood up.  I pointed the switch to the new ip of the Orion server.  I then executed the no logging console and monitor.

I then notice that when I did a show log I am not seeing the system messages as before.    I would like to re-enable logging so that I can see logging entries with the show log command?

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Standard Logging

Turning off logging for console and monitor should not have had any effect on what you see in the output of show log. It sounds like you might have also done no logging buffered, or perhaps to have set the size of the logging buffer to zero. Would you post the output of the command

show run | include buff

Perhaps this might shed some light on the issue.

HTH

Rick

Standard Logging

logging buffer 100000

How would this affect what I was seeing show typing show log?

Standard Logging

If the switch config includes logging buffer 100000 then I would expect that you should continue to see the system messages when you type show log. Would you post the output that you receive when you do the show log command? Sometimes there is information in the beginning several lines about how logging is operating. Perhaps this would give us some insight into what is going on.

HTH

Rick

Standard Logging

Here is the current config.  Since the post I have turned it off.  It was intitally set to 10000 bytes.  Once I turned it off I am able to see log activity.  I was concerned why I had very limited log info when the buffer was set.

No Inactive Message Discriminator.

Console logging: disabled
    Monitor logging: disabled
    Buffer logging:  disabled, xml disabled,
                    filtering disabled
    Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)
    Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled
    File logging: disabled
    Persistent logging: disabled

No active filter modules.

Trap logging: level informational, 538203 message lines logged
        Logging to 10.10.4.69  (udp port 514, audit disabled,
              link up),
              538201 message lines logged,
              0 message lines rate-limited,
              0 message lines dropped-by-MD,
              xml disabled, sequence number disabled
              filtering disabled
        Logging to 10.10.89.70  (udp port 514, audit disabled,
              link up),
              318096 message lines logged,
              0 message lines rate-limited,
              0 message lines dropped-by-MD,
              xml disabled, sequence number disabled
              filtering disabled
        Logging Source-Interface:       VRF Name:
        FastEthernet0

Standard Logging

I am puzzled about this response. Are you saying that you turned off logging buffered (which seems to be the case based on this - Buffer logging:  disabled, xml disabled) and that now you do get the normal output when you do show log?

HTH

Rick

Standard Logging

This issue began when I disabled console and monitor logging.

Buffers were at that point set to 10000 bytes.  I then pointed all logs over to a syslog server.  This resulted in my show logs that displayed very limited info.  I didnt think that the two commands would stop my system logging.  Entries were going to the syslog server successfully.  While trying to troubleshoot I disabled the logging buffer and was able to see more entries in the log.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content