cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static IP restriction question

David_Dunlap
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a way to prevent a device from being connected to my network with a static IP address that is the same as other devices that I've already assigned static IP addresses to. For example, I don't want a random user to be able to set their laptop to a static IP of 192.168.1.1 and cause a conflict with a server that has the same IP address. I would like to be able to, at a switching level, disable network access to that user's pc and avoid the conflict. I would like an automated way to do this, if possible. Does anyone know of any solution? Thanks!

1 Reply 1

pstebner1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David-

I'm not sure what kind of switch you are using, but I assume that it supports 802.1x, which is a Layer 2 based authentication method. This is exactly what you need in your situation, as it will keep any unauthorized pcs off of your network.

Here is a tech note on how to configure it, specifically for a 3750 switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/sw8021x.html

hth,

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: