Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Static pinning on fex-fabric uplink

Referring to this documentation:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572829-01_Design_N5K_N2K_vPC_DG.pdf

I have a question regarding static pinning.  While going over the configuration in my data center, I noticed that all of my fex configurations have:

pinning max-links 1

On one particular 5548, for example, I have 6 FEXs.  2 are 2232 and 4 are 2248.  The 2232s have 4 uplinks to the 5Ks (two to each) and the 2248s have 2 uplinks (one to each).  Based on the way the above mentioned documentation describes static pinning, it looked to me as if only 1 physical interface in each of the fex-fabric port-channels would be used.  I issued a "clear counters" on the 5K and check them a little while later.  What I saw was that traffic seemed to be distributed across all of the physical links in the fex-fabric port-channel groups (see attached).  I'm wondering why.  Am I mis-interpreting static pinning?

Also, here's how a typical server is connected to the Data Center LAN

example.png

Po29 is the vPC peer link.  Po3103 is a vPC configured at the 5K.

Thanks,

Steven

Everyone's tags (4)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content