cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route Load Balancing?

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have no way of testing this, but I am wondering if I could have two ISP connections that use static routes (ie 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d) and load balance between the two conections to the internet? AFAIK loab balancing is a benifit of routing protocols only.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If you have 2 ISP connection and you have 2 default route with same admin distance it will have load balancing.

Tye type of load-balancing you get (i.e. per packet or per destination) depends on the switching mechanism deployed on the router.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

Hi Friend,

If router is configured for fast switching which is default it will do load balancing per destination and if you conigire your router for process switching the load balancing will be per packet.

HTH

Ankur

* plz rate the post if it helps

If the connections go to 2 different ISP the outgoing traffic will be load balanced while the incoming traffic may not be loadbalanced which largely depends on how the internet views your subnet.

Check the link for information on router switching mechanism

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk831/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a62d9.shtml

HTH

Narayan

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If you have 2 ISP connection and you have 2 default route with same admin distance it will have load balancing.

Tye type of load-balancing you get (i.e. per packet or per destination) depends on the switching mechanism deployed on the router.

HTH

Ankur

Thank you for the quick reply.

What do you mean by switching mechanism?

Hi Friend,

If router is configured for fast switching which is default it will do load balancing per destination and if you conigire your router for process switching the load balancing will be per packet.

HTH

Ankur

* plz rate the post if it helps

If the connections go to 2 different ISP the outgoing traffic will be load balanced while the incoming traffic may not be loadbalanced which largely depends on how the internet views your subnet.

Check the link for information on router switching mechanism

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk831/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a62d9.shtml

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco