Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

storm-control recommendations

Gents,

which values do you recommend on access switches for unicast and broadcast traffic ?

For ordinary office user and active user, like developer ?

Sometimes devs have a lot of traffic, when copy big images. I think, it should be restrictions in pps.

Please advice. Thanks.

1 REPLY

Re: storm-control recommendations

I just went through this exercise. We're not running storm-control on any unicast traffic. If you need to do this to make sure a certain user doesn't hog an uplink to the core, I guess there's a point in that, but I'd rather apply big enough uplinks to the core, rather than throttle their bandwidth.

If you search the NetPro forums, you'll see some posts I did earlier today on exactly this topic. For broadcast and multicast thresholds, we've sort of settled on 20% for gigabit host ports and 30% for trunk/uplink gigabit ports. But that's because after some testing, we decided that to be appropriate for our network.

Cisco's TAC recommended to make a baseline of your network, so that you know what "normal" broadcast/multicast/unicast traffic levels are, and then put your storm-control values in from there.

Views
Helpful
Replies