cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Storm control

jain.nitin
Level 3
Level 3

hi can any one tell what is the recommonded vlaue suggested in Storm control broadcast level command... I have kept raising threshold as 80 & falling threshold as 60... & wht does storm-control broadcast level 1 means

2 Replies 2

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Please refer to the related command reference. Level is percentage number.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_s3.html#wp1032171

It's dependent on the size of your subnet and the application on your network. You might need to estimate roughly how many bandwidth is used by legal broadcast traffic.

level 80 is too high, if all broadcast is legal, you might need to think about to have a smaller subnet.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jain,

we use 1% on Ge ports with no problem you just need to accomodate bandwidth for ARP in IP only Vlans.

We use WINS everywhere so to find the right value you need to consider traffic on your vlan

I would suggest to perform some packet capture by using a protocol analyzer and comparing the total of broadcast frames with the all total of frames in a vlan.

We have found the feature helpful with spanning-tree loop guard in giving some time when a bridging loop forms to be able to still access core/distribution switches and to logically cut the loop shutting some links

I would suggest 20% on FE and 3% on GE links as a start

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: