Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

STP and potential loops - 2 switches

Hi guys, I have 2 switches, both WS2960. I have a single trunk between them and STP is only running on the native VLAN.

By only having a single trunk, am I still creating a possibility of looping back over the same trunk? Should I create a second trunk to avoid loops over a simple two switch network?

Thanks,

Dean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: STP and potential loops - 2 switches

Hi Dean

With a single trunk link between two switches there is no loop issue. This is a point to point link. So unless someone connects a second cable between the switches, there you will not have looping issues.

However if and when you add a second link between the switches, this is when you have created a loop and require STP.

AFAIK STP is active for all VLAN's automatically by default on Cisco switches.

Best Regards,

Michael

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: STP and potential loops - 2 switches

Hi Dean

With a single trunk link between two switches there is no loop issue. This is a point to point link. So unless someone connects a second cable between the switches, there you will not have looping issues.

However if and when you add a second link between the switches, this is when you have created a loop and require STP.

AFAIK STP is active for all VLAN's automatically by default on Cisco switches.

Best Regards,

Michael

Views
Helpful
Replies