Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

STP: if just 'extending' do we need it?

i understand that when you build redundancy the need for STP but if we just connect a switch/hub on a switch port (e.g. to provide mulitple drops in room for training) the loop issue doesn't exist, correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: STP: if just 'extending' do we need it?

John

You are correct in what you say, if you hang a switch/hub off a switch port then you are not creating a loop.

However i would always recommend running STP because you never know who will connect what to what. All it takes is for one connection to be incorrectly patched in, either by accident or maliciously, and you are in danger of bringing your network down.

Jon

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: STP: if just 'extending' do we need it?

John

You are correct in what you say, if you hang a switch/hub off a switch port then you are not creating a loop.

However i would always recommend running STP because you never know who will connect what to what. All it takes is for one connection to be incorrectly patched in, either by accident or maliciously, and you are in danger of bringing your network down.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies