Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Linksys Cisco

osgpcqosg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure un STP between a linksys SRW2024 and a cisco catalyst 3560, I connect the two switch with 2 wires.

I already search here but nothing seems like my problem.

First at all, seems working well, stp block a port.

But if i try to cut some link, sometime work really well and sometime really bad => In fact the both switch are Root !

I have tried to change the mode of the cisco to a more standard way but can't find the right solution for now.

Any suggestions ?

Regards.

PS:Here the conf:

cisco:

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
     spanning-tree loopguard default
     no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
     spanning-tree etherchannel guard misconfig
     spanning-tree vlan 1-1000 priority 0

Linksys:
     spanning-tree
     spanning-tree mode rstp
     spanning-tree priority 4096
     spanning-tree pathcost method short

And the log:
cisco:
show spanning-tree vlan 140
VLAN0140
  Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp
  Root ID    Priority    140
             Address     0015.63c4.ef00
             This bridge is the root
             Hello Time   2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec
  Bridge ID  Priority    140    (priority 0 sys-id-ext 140)
             Aging Time  300 sec

Linksys:
show spanning-tree
Spanning tree enabled mode RSTP
Default port cost method:  short
  Root ID    Priority    4096
             Address     00:22:6b:bf:f6:eb
             This switch is the root
             Hello Time  2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vincent,

the both Spanning-tree modes are not compatible.

change the mode on both switches to the same at least.

I know a nice discussen, maybe it is also interessted for you:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/81575

regards,

Sebastian

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Vincent,

the both Spanning-tree modes are not compatible.

change the mode on both switches to the same at least.

I know a nice discussen, maybe it is also interessted for you:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/81575

regards,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

First at all, sorry for the delay, just have some time to test it again.

You're obviously right.

The option I have:

Cisco:(config)#spanning-tree mode ?

mst         Multiple spanning tree mode

pvst        Per-Vlan spanning tree mode

rapid-pvst  Per-Vlan rapid spanning tree mode

Linksys:(config)# spanning-tree mode

stp                  Specify IEEE 802.1D Spanning Tree Protocol

rstp                 Configure IEEE 802.1W Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol

mstp                 Configure IEEE 802.1S Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol

In the link you send me:

Based on the original IEEE 802.1w standard, RSTP can have multiple VLANs 10, 20, 20 and 40 but will only have a

single instance of spanning tree running for all VLANs, just like the Traditional STP 802.1D (CST).  The  IEEE 802.1w RSTP standard does not support multiple instances of STP,  it does support multiple VLANs.  Cisco's version of RSTP, known as  RPVST+, combines RSTP with PVST+, and uses a separate instance of spanning tree for each VLAN, just like their proprietary PVST+.

For now, thought I could try the mstp/mst solutions, but I will keep it simple,

so I will try the rapid-pvst/stp solution, and I will comment you.

Best regards.

So, a lot of time later, but with the homework done.

The Cisco "rapid-pvst" and the linksys "stp" mode are fully compatible. (Sure with the 14 second of delay).

Best regards.

Configuration used:

Cisco:

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst                                                        

spanning-tree loopguard default                                                      

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission                                          

spanning-tree etherchannel guard misconfig                                           

spanning-tree extend system-id                                                       

spanning-tree vlan 1-1000 priority 0                                                 

!                                    

interface FastEthernet0/9                                                            

description lliure                                                                  

switchport access vlan 10                                                           

switchport mode access                                                              

spanning-tree portfast                                                              

spanning-tree link-type point-to-point                                              

!                                                                                    

interface FastEthernet0/10                                                           

description lliure                                                                  

switchport access vlan 10                                                           

switchport mode access                                                              

spanning-tree portfast                                                              

Linksys:

spanning-tree

spanning-tree priority 4096

spanning-tree pathcost method short

interface range ethernet g(11-24)

spanning-tree portfast

exit

interface range ethernet g(9-10)

Exemple:

# sh spanning-tree                                                                                                                                            

Spanning tree enabled mode STP

Default port cost method:  short

Root ID    Priority    10

Address     00:15:63:c4:ef:00

Cost        19

Port        g9

sw-test01#sh spanning-tree vlan 10                                                   

VLAN0010                                                                             

Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp                                                

Root ID    Priority    10                                                          

This bridge is the root                                                 

Bridge ID  Priority    10     (priority 0 sys-id-ext 10)                           

Aging Time  300 sec                                                     

Interface           Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type                                 

------------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------     

Fa0/8               Desg FWD 19        128.10   P2p Edge                             

Fa0/9               Desg FWD 19        128.11   P2p Peer(STP)                        

Fa0/10              Desg FWD 19        128.12   P2p Peer(STP)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card