Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

STP question concerning virtual interfaces on physical ports

Hi

I was wandering if someone could help me with something I picked up:

I heard that STP creates virtual interfaces on a port (per vlan for PVST, ...), how does this work?

Is there a limitation/...

Could some one be so kind to explain this to me or tell me if this is a bogus story?

Kr

2 REPLIES

Re: STP question concerning virtual interfaces on physical ports

Hi Sybren,

I don't know of this story.

PVST and PVST+ create a separate instance of STP for each vlan, but this is achieved through sending bpdus within each vlan, not with virtual interfaces.

Cheers:

Istvan

Re: STP question concerning virtual interfaces on physical ports

Well, It is as simple as normal STP operation. If you configure your switch in PVST STP mode, than the switch create a converged spaning tree on for a each and every VLAN configured in the switch.

Lets say you have 3 switch A, B, C and four VLAN 10,20,30,40. You can configured switch A in PVST mode and change it's priority for VLAN 10 and 20 so that it works as a root switch for VLAN 10 and 20. Then It will create two instance of STP tree each for vlan 10 and 20.

Some of the port in B and C are blocked only for those vlan 10 and 20 if you have redundant links.

Similarly, you can configured switch B to act as root switch for vlan 30 and 40.

PVST allows you to configure load balancing among multiple switches.

I hope it helps you.

Views
Helpful
Replies