Views
Helpful
Replies

STP root selection for pVST

waqas0612147
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i am attaching a network as below .can somebody tell me what is the best option for selecting a STP root .. in my opinon it shld be dist switch.

Core is working as L3 ,while dist and access are working as L2 swithes . any suggestions would be apprecaited.

Regards

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

waqas0612147 wrote:

hi

i am attaching a network as below .can somebody tell me what is the best option for selecting a STP root .. in my opinon it shld be dist switch.

Core is working as L3 ,while dist and access are working as L2 swithes . any suggestions would be apprecaited.

Regards

Core is doing all the inter-vlan routing then ? Are you running VTP server/client with the core switches acting as VTP servers ?

It's important to remember that STP root/secondary are used to ensure a loop free topology in the network. That does not mean that all traffic has to go through the STP root to get from A to B.

Personally if the core switches are inter-vlan routing then i would use those as STP root/secondary and not the distribution switches.

By the way as a side point, distribution switches usually act as L3 switches and do inter-vlan routing etc. Your setup is more like a collapsed core ie. core/distribution on same switches ie. core switches in your setup and then your other switches. including your distibution switches are really just access switches.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card