Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

STP root selection for pVST

hi

i am attaching a network as below .can somebody tell me what is the best option for selecting a STP root .. in my opinon it shld be dist switch.

Core is working as L3 ,while dist and access are working as L2 swithes . any suggestions would be apprecaited.

Regards

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: STP root selection for pVST

waqas0612147 wrote:

hi

i am attaching a network as below .can somebody tell me what is the best option for selecting a STP root .. in my opinon it shld be dist switch.

Core is working as L3 ,while dist and access are working as L2 swithes . any suggestions would be apprecaited.

Regards

Core is doing all the inter-vlan routing then ? Are you running VTP server/client with the core switches acting as VTP servers ?

It's important to remember that STP root/secondary are used to ensure a loop free topology in the network. That does not mean that all traffic has to go through the STP root to get from A to B.

Personally if the core switches are inter-vlan routing then i would use those as STP root/secondary and not the distribution switches.

By the way as a side point, distribution switches usually act as L3 switches and do inter-vlan routing etc. Your setup is more like a collapsed core ie. core/distribution on same switches ie. core switches in your setup and then your other switches. including your distibution switches are really just access switches.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content