cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

straight through and crossover cable

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me when plugging in like for like devices we use a crossover cable, so send goes to receive port etc, how come if we connect both devices to a switch we can use a normal straight through cable ?

2 Replies 2

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

It depends how ports are wired. Different devices (by type) have differently wired ports. Switches have wired ports in a way, that you can connect routers and PCs to it with straight cable. Therefore you can't connect two switches with straight cable.

Some new devices have MDIX function, which automatically detects wiring, and adjusts accordingly, so you don't have to use cross-over/straight-through anymore

srimural
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carl,

Nice to hear from you.

This depends on the pin configuration of the device you are plugging the cable into. Since switches have a swapped rx and tx in comparison with a pc it will work.

I agree with the previous post.There is a feature called Auto-MDIX , Automatic Media dependant Inteface crossover. which swaps the TX and RX pins so that the communication will happend properly.

I hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinath.M

Cable&Wireless

srinath.7@gmail.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card