Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Log message 7200

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I recieved this log message today on my 7206 that confuses me. The message itself makes sense, but there were no log messages being generated that would have caused this output.

I have gotten this message before, but I thought it was related to a "Log-input" command on an access-list. I have issued the no logging console garunteed command as well as tweaked the access-list so that it would not log as many hits. The log is not showing any log entries for yesterday or so far today, yet I still recieved it. Router's clock is synced properly as well. Weird.... Anyone have any ideas what this could be from?

Apr 6 09:21:14.579: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

Here's the logging config on the device:

logging exception 4096

logging buffered 100000 debugging

no logging console guaranteed

no logging console

logging alarm informational

logging facility local5

logging 10.1.1.74

OS Version:

Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Log exerpt:

Apr 4 14:31:48.203: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list 2002 denied tcp 10.220.78.103(2804) (Serial2/0/5:0 ) -> 10.141.6.13(80), 2 packets

Apr 4 14:32:48.204: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list 2002 denied tcp 10.220.78.103(2839) (Serial2/0/5:0 ) -> 10.141.6.13(80), 2 packets

Apr 6 09:21:14.579: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

7206#

6 Replies 6

CSCO11167812
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What happens when you give the show debug command.

Probably some kind of debugging is on..

Regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought too... but there aren't any debugs running currently.

7206-XO2#sh debug

7206-XO2#

Thanks in advance.

This page gives two instances where you might see that message (both related to your router type, dont know about the IOS):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/release/notes/122mcav4.html

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ryan,

>> Apr 6 09:21:14.579: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

This message says that for the very high volume of messages that have to be written on the console the router decided to halt other processes including forwarding to ensure correct and complete logging.

this is the output of the error message decoder:

%SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for [time-stamp] to ensure console debugging output

Debugging or informational messages are being generated faster than they can be displayed on the console. To guarantee that they can be seen, the rest of the system is paused until the console output catches up. This can break time-critical behavior, such as maintaining an ISDN link.

Recommended Action: Consider using conditional debugging, turning off console logging, using the no logging console guaranteed command, or turning off link-state messages for some interfaces.

my suggestion is the following:

You can consider to send log messages only to a syslog server and to turn off console logging.

For example I did it during a TAC service request to collect debug info over time because also cpu usage if debugging is sent to the console is much higher.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

HI Giuseppe

I've already turned off console deubugging and used the no logging console guaranteed command.

I snuck in a restart Sunday morning at 3:00am and I just recieved that log message again yesterday:

I'm not cutting out any messages in between these... there's nothing there...

Apr 13 14:05:07.749: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

Apr 13 14:59:51.960: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

Any other ideas?? Thanks.

Hello Ryan,

if you have disabled console logging and there is no debug activity this message is not logical and strange.

I would consider an IOS upgrade as a way to see if the message disappears.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card