Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Telnet behaviour

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have been facing a problem with one of our remote sites for a couple of days now. Some users at the remote site were complaining of slow application response. My colleague and my self (we are at the main site) were checking the 3 switches there when I found out that a telent session to one particular switch was not smooth, rather choppy

I asked my colleague to telnet to the switch in question and his session was flawless, although I was facing the same choppy session the same time while he was having no issues. I asked him to disconnect, to see if my session improved but no result. To make things more interesting we asked some users to ping a server at our main site, some of them had no issues, while other got 3/4 or 2/4 responses.

I was wondering what problem these symptoms indicate, I suspect physical link problems, but it feels strange how my colleague who is connected to the same switch I am connected to has no issues?

All help is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Any help?

have you done a traceroute from your partners machine as well as your own? Do they take the same route? Do you share a common default gateway? I think you are going to have a hard time getting a solution on the forums because the problem is still pretty vague.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would say depending on where you are originating your sessions you have some possibly dirty links somewhere . Your collegue may be on the same switch but not the same vlan and depending on how stp is working he may be taking a different path . If you are on the same switch and vlan then i'm not sure. Dropped packets will usually mean physical layer problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card